Thursday, April 15, 2010

Tax Day

And so it goes...we pay taxes, we vote for representation.  Elected representatives of the people are empowered to write legislation and make various decisions about how our tax monies are to be used.  There are some great programs and policies I fully support and defend, there are others that I believe are a waste.  Like anyone else I sure don't like to see my tax monies wasted on policies and programs and priorities that I disagree with.  However, we are a democracy and despite the various special interest's, the lobbyist's, business and corporate interest's influence, we as voters have a system in which we can voice our opinion, take action and effect change.  Too often we may become frustrated and perhaps apathetic if not downright angry about the actions or lack of action taken by our elected leaders.  Civility and freedom of expression are among the best means with which we as Americans are empowered to reason and influence and organize for positive change in this great country.  Yes indeed I believe this remains a great country, our challenges are many, varied and complex.  On this day, I will do what  I can to remember the best parts of what makes this country great. 

1 comment:

  1. Well said. Civility and thoughtful discussions are the only way to proceed.

    ReplyDelete