Monday, January 18, 2010

MLK Day

Martin Luther King Jr.
Today is observed in recognition of Martin Luther King, a peacemaker and an extraordinary leader in his time. Preaching non violent resistance for civil rights in a dark time in America's evolution. Take a moment to reflect upon how fortunate we are today, how this great nation has changed for the better and yet we have some ways to go. MLK spoke about the urgency of now, being that now is the time to adopt new policy, law and action for a better nation. We can each contribute by becoming more mindful of our actions. Be a peacekeeper of your own thoughts and actions. Find your own peace, it is within.

Cycling
I have been keeping consistent to the stationary bike, around 60 minutes per day, a few hard but mostly easy spins, the routine is a good one and soon enough I can get back outdoors now and then for a real ride. My road bike is in the shop for some new brakes and seat, it should be ready to pick up in a couple off days. I haven't rode for awhile, being content to drill on the stationary bike. The weather has been unfriendly for cycling as well. My brother just recently bought his first road bike, I am ecstatic about this as we are planning to get out on some good rides together this year! The Tour Down Under, in Australia begin on Tuesday, the Radio Shack team is led by Lance Armstrong, it will be interesting to catch the highlights, Lance looks to be in outstanding physical condition! The cycling season is not far off...
Running
My own running program is going very well. Through yesterday I have run 139 consecutive days, my PR set last year is over 200+ and the one day off to end that streak was the break between the beginning of the current streak. This demonstrates consistency. I am also doing 40+ mile weeks a number that I like for a mark of duration, at the current pace of 6 miles per day. Yes the running is going well...
Swimming
Not getting any swimming workouts in, the pool I use is not currently heated and I have made some attempts and even survived a couple of brutally cold swims. It's just not worth the pain and mental anguish as it becomes a larger negative than positive. So I will wait till spring and get back into the swimming mode. I have considered joining up at the local swim center and who knows I might, but for now I am okay waiting for the weather to improve and the pool to heat up...
Events
As of yet no plans made for 2010, I imagine I will find some interesting events to enter and probably will take a more serious look at planning for them at some point. For now I am content to train each day and stay the positive course...
Today's Workout:
M
Bike: 60/20 miles, strong effort on stationary.
Run: 66/6 miles, road run, blustery..rain on it's way.

No comments:

Post a Comment