Thursday, June 18, 2009

Today's Workout 6/18/09


Sometimes our performance is all about getting the right amount of rest and sleep. While up at the Cabin last week, I built up a pretty significant sleep deficit. To begin with I generally get 6 hours of sleep if I am very fortunate. The daily schedule at the Cabin created a real sleep loss. You see, I made my decision to get my workouts in, no matter what. I get up early as it is, at 0300 or 0400. When you go fishing it's an early, early start! So... super early mornings followed by evenings coming in late from fishing and then getting dinner on... well I just built up a heck of a deficit. In addition my caffeine intake in the PM hours may have adversely effected my ability to get good sleep in too.

I have eliminated the PM caffeine and have been back on a more routine schedule for few days now. My sleep quality, overall hours of sleep and strength have improved. I really noticed how good I felt today. An easy 6 mile jog, a short swim and a strong bike ride on the road bike averaging 16.9 mph, over 22 miles, with really good legs. I attribute the performance to proper sleep. I hope I can continue along this path to feeling better, improved performance and with the quality of plentiful sleep.

M, X60

RUN
66 minutes, 6 miles, trail run, easy.600 yards.

SWIM
15 minutes, 600 yards.

BIKE
80 minutes, 22.5 miles, 16.9 mph. Road bike, good legs, strong ride.

Later today, after work I will be heading up to Lake Tahoe on business for just a night over. I may have more time driving up and back than actual time in working meetings. It's okay it is part of what I do and I am indeed happy to do it. Meeting in Tahoe? No, I cannot complain about that. I have it in my mind to get a nice run in up there on Friday morning on the trail I discovered while up there a couple of weeks ago. Yes, it's all good. Will post again, sometime on Friday, in the meantime...don't settle for being good, be great! Enjoy it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment