Monday, May 11, 2009

TRI Details

SATURDAY
So Kim and I headed out on Saturday, late morning for Angels Camp. After a few extra miles driving past the exit for Lake Melones off of Highway 49, we did arrive safe and sound at the campground at around 2 pm. We soon realized that site #30, was the least appealing campsite in the entire area! Fortunately we had not begun to unpack, we drove back to the ranger station and switched campsites with no problem at all.

Delayed gratification comes in many forms and the ice cold Corona's went down well indeed after we had our tent up and campsite up and running. Our hillside campsite had a nice view of the lake, the birds were out in full force, including a few wild turkeys. Soup and sandwiches for dinner, a little reading and we put the day away, anxious for the day ahead.

SUNDAY
I am up at 0315, it is dark out, coffee is cooking and the fire is burning bright. The moon is out and it's a good 2 hours before sunrise. It's cool but not cold, maybe in the 50's. With hot mug of strong coffee off the Coleman stove, I sit by the fire, tending it and watching the flames overcome the logs, dry wood burns fast. More coffee, more wood, more watching of the flames.

As it becomes light, we slowly breakdown the camp, Kim head off for a jog and a shower. Some deer are out grazing about 250 yards away, it is going to be one of those great days!
With plenty of time we pack up our site one piece at a time. At 0730 we are entirely loaded up and drive about 3 miles to the Tri start area. Checking in, I receive bib # 31 and a t shirt. I have never quite got comfortable with getting the event t shirt before the event even starts! It used to be handed to you when you finished...I guess that's old school stuff, now days you are a winner before you even begin.

With bike and tri gear in tow, my loyal sherpa guide, (Kim) and I find a good spot to rack the bike in the transition area and I set about laying out my gear for the bike and run. Soon enough it was time to pull on the wetsuit and head out towards the water. 1o minutes worth of instructions gave way to a 3, 2, 1 GO!

THE SWIM
Lake Melones was cool, and the course was around an island 200 yards out and then back to the boat ramp. I am guessing 150 swimmers hit the water all at once. I started out in the middle of the pack and finished about there too. Not too much thrashing and kicking to knock you around , I was able to work into a decent pace, 4 strokes/breath and sighting ahead, followed by one stroke/breath and back to 4 strokes. I got through the 1000 yards of swimming in 15:32 and began the long and steep slog uphill towards the transition area. Lots of walkers going up the hill, but I decided to keep on keepin' on... at my already out of breath barely a jog pace.

Transition took me way too long, pulling off the wetsuit, pulling on socks and bike shoes, shirt, helmet, about 4:35 including the long slog up the boat ramp. On the bike...

THE BIKE
This event was advertised as a loop ride, no mention of hills, I didn't know the course but of course, now I do! They say it was 16 miles, but my reliable bike odometer which is always correct said it was only 14 by the time I was done...Anyway, pedaling hard to get up to speed and remaining mostly out of breath for the next 48: 14 is what I did. Hills not mountains, are tough enough when your racing and more so when your training is 95% flat. Hit a 1.25 to 1.50 mile hill that just killed, a couple of false summits take your hopes away, but finally got into a good groove about halfway through the 14 NOT 16 mile ride....I did hammer the rolling hills and got some big gear in, though my legs were not fooled. It was a hard ride, and it did feel good passing a few riders, and getting back to the transition area for the run....

THE RUN
30 seconds to kick off bike shoes, pull on running shoes, pull off helmet and throw on my running hat. Rubber legs and up hill, up hill and up hill, after a half mile of that we went to single track trail that leveled off for a while, followed by more hills and ups and downs, rocky trail, each foot placement had to be considered. This run was a tough one, coming off the hard bike I had energy though not a ton of it, but my legs were heavy and only got heavier. This was a LONG 3 miles that may have been 3.5 or so, I will never know for sure, but it sure seemed to be more than 3 miles. Finally the trail ended and I hit the descent off the paving down to the finish line in 1:40:32 according to my time....whew, a good one a tough one and Yeah it's over!

AFTER IT ALL
Kim is about the greatest support group one could ever hope to have. She took a lot of good photos and helped pack out the gear, she is supportive and adventurous, thank you, Kim!
We drove to Utica park for the post tri BBQ. Anchor Steam beer, burger, potato salad, beans, probably put in all the calories I burned up on the Tri. Watched the awards in all age groups, the overall winner just killed the course at 1:15. I'd of had to do a 1:30-1:32 to snag a 3rd in my age group, 50-59, damn I am gettin old. No, I am old. A nice BBBQ and award ceremony and we hit the long road back to the Bay Area, home at 3:20pm.

FINAL THOUGHTS
I did the best I was capable of, it was a challenging course. There are a few coulda's shoulda's. No doubt training in the hills for both cycling and running would have been helpful. I am very satisfied with my performance though, went hard all the way and did not bonk, survived to post a decent time in my age group. And the best part of a Tri? When its over dude, and hey...its OVER! Good, fun, challenging. Done. The dude abides.

No comments:

Post a Comment