Friday, July 17, 2009

Today's Workout 7/17/09

In many ways, yes I am a dinosaur. Old school but not so terribly old school. How about old school-evolved? The Jack Daniels running system is scientific, it's old school but it's true science.
I like to be knowledgeable about the science and try to put it to work for myself. I don't feel like I try too awfully hard though. This darn treadmill is getting over on me, I have stated previously how I used to mentally despise running on a treadmill, and I am ever more learning to appreciate it. It's working me hard, when I choose to do so. Cranking up the speed
forces me to work harder and I find that I can indeed work harder when I so choose. I don't often choose to. I started jogging in the 70's. LSD was the thing, no not the drug! LONG, SLOW, DISTANCE. I learned to run this way and it has served me pretty well over many years. Speed work is occasional for me and that's probably okay. I am however doing just a bit more of it lately and liking it. I blame the treadmill and Jack Daniels, not the whiskey, the man made famous by his study of oxygen use, altitude training, the lactic acid process and so very much more critical to the training programs for runners and other athletes. If you run harder but not too hard, a couple of times a week you can really improve yourself, your performance but more important your body's cardio system and this can only be good for us...dinosaurs!

BIKE: 40 minutes, 13+ miles, good strong ride, stationary.
RUN: 43 minutes, 5 miles, treadmill, good hard run!

No comments:

Post a Comment